Clan VO
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clan VO

Join Us Today!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sorc Guide

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Isaac2155
Isaac2155

Male Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2006-12-09

Sorc Guide Empty
PostSubject: Sorc Guide   Sorc Guide Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2006 9:29 pm

ATTRIBUTE POINTS

(Note: I like nice even numbers, so I always add the full five points for leveling up to
only one attribute per level - this has NO influence on the bonuses that apply to
that attribute, it's just pure aesthetics.)

STRENGTH

The first thing I recommend is to begin to add points to strength - just enough to equip
a chain mail later. This might mean the first four or five levels (about 20 - 25 points)
you need to be comfortable. Right now it is simply IMPOSSIBLE to depend on your Mana for
a steady source of fuel for your skills; it wears out too fast now.

DEXTERITY

The next thing to worry about is dexterity --> it comes in handy to increase your attack
rating against the later monsters in Act I. You bash them while your mana regenerates.
Just don't add too many points, it's a waste later. (At the moment my Dexterity is at 40
and I'm at Level 45 (as of August 27, 2001), and I don't regret my decision.)

VITALITY (1 point = +2 Life, +1 Stamina; +1 Life, +1 Stamina upon Level-up)

Vitality and Energy should be raised according to your style of gameplay. If you feel
that the hits you receive take too much of your life - 1/3 to 1/2 - add to Vitality. If
not, add to Energy for more mana. Vitality adds only one point to your life and two to
your stamina, so you might need to use up a few levels to significantly increase your HP
and survive more blows. Regardless of how huch life you have, it is ESSENTIAL you learn
how to dodge ranged attacks and avoid melee combat unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. You just
won't do too much damage - at least when compared to a Barbarian or Paladin. Keep to the
magic attacks.

ENERGY (1 point = +2 Mana; +2 Mana upon Level-up)

Whenever you are unsure as to where to add your next attribute points, just add them to
energy. You'd be surprised at the result. Each point added increases two mana points,
which is the highest rate in the game. The Necromancer also has the same rate of growth
but since the Sorceress starts off with MORE mana, she has the greatest potential stock
of mana in the game (Thus proving my earlier point - yesyes, thank you, no applauses are
necessary - but they are noted ^_^) Well, anyways *ahem*, with this in mind, by level
30 or so, you will have piled up enough mana to cast a barrage of spells without needing
to wait and regenerate more. What's more: since mana regeneration is a percentage-based
ability that ALL characters have, the more mana you have, the more regenerates. What is
higher: 10% of 100 Mana or 10% of 500 Mana? The rate of regeneration is the same but in
the second case you regenerate about 50 Mana every few seconds, which is enough to cast
all the fireballs or glacial spikes you want.

SKILL POINTS

What is important to remember here is that skill points are few and PERMANENT. The best
Sorceress skills are obtained at later levels (Level 24+). Which means that you should
hoard those points as if your life depended on it! - since it just might at nightmare or
hell difficulties. Add a few points to Warmth is just my suggestion. This is optional;
I know of several people using the Sorceress who save up those points and do quite well.
However, they dedicate a higher percentage of their attribute points to Energy for a big
pool of Mana. I added about 4 Skill Points to Warmth, and now with 526 Mana at Level 45
I regenerate about 10 points every SECOND!.

The key to hoarding your points is to be completely dependent on staves and orbs for the
free skill points they give upon using them. This may mean saving up ALOT of gold to go
to Akara to buy them.

I consider only a few skills worth INVESTING in:

- Blizzard
- Thunderstorm
- Fire Wall / Blaze
- Lightning Mastery
- Cold Mastery
- Fire Mastery

Of those skills I specialize the most in Blizzard and Thuunderstorm, along with Lightning
and Cold Masteries. Blaze and Firewall I ONLY use for Duriel and Mephisto respectively.
The key to success is to keep in mind the skills you TRULY want later, so you don't waste
your points on spells that are useless later on.

My strategy was to add points along the tree to prepare for the truly useful spells.

It is important to know that there are a fewskills that are quite useful with only one or
two points added to them. Precisely Teleport, Static Field, Warmth (explained earlier),
and Telekinesis.

Teleport is GREAT with just ONE lousy point, all future points simply reduce the cost to
cast it - but with high regeneration and a large pool of Mana that won't be necessary; a
cost of 24 Mana is small enough. I use teleport strategically, i.e, I don't cast it all
day. Just for certain reasons:
(1) To Teleport my Hireling: Since a Hireling teleports right along with you it is
EXTREMELY handy throughout the game. You could teleport your hireling out of
an ambush or a mob of powerful enemies, or teleport him into a group to kill a
few ranged attackers while they're off guard. It is also a great way to avoid
spells like meteor or more importantly the pesky Bone Spirit that the Oblivion
Magi cast at you.
(2) To save MYSELF from dangerous situations - like the Charged Bolts of a powerful
Lightning Enchanted Unique Monster.
(3) To save time in maze-like areas of the game - like the tombs in act II, the act
III dungeons.
(4) Or to simply save time retracing explored areas (especially after dying - where
by teleporting you could easily reach your body.

Static Field is a good spell, since it takes a fixed percentage of an enemy's life (25%)
REGARDLESS of the amount of life it has. Successive points only increase the radius of
the spell, so the amount of points added is proportional to how much you like to gamble.
The only limitation is that Lightning Resistance reduces the damage inflicted, and those
"lucky" <insert curse words here> monsters that are Immune to Lightning receive no harm.

Telekinesis is a nice spell - especially when you want to beat someone to a shrine or an
item (I try to be fair with what I find when I coop, but let's face it, not everyone has
that same attitude). Only one Skill Point is necessary, since the damage it inflicts is
minimal, and the stunning effect it has only works on SOME monsters, and does not last a
noetable amount of time. Besides, it's a requirement for Teleport so you might as WELL
give it a try. HEHE.

HIRELINGS

Whether you wish to believe it or not, your faithful (however dumb) companion is a great
necessity for the Sorceress. There are four hirelings that become available throughout
the game. Two are melee fighters - the Desert Mercenarie (Act II), and the Barbarians of
Harrogath (Act V) - and the other two are ranged attackers - the Rogues (Act I), and the
Iron Wolves under Aeshera (Act III). Any of these are a great help, but I recommend one
of the two melee attackers. My particular style of gameplay is through ranged attacks,
which are about 85% of the Sorceress' Skills. Your hireling should attack while you are
to provide coverfire and ranged support. The fact that a melee attacker is usually the
closer target should make him cannon fodder, but since Hirelings are somewhat costly to
revive (usually since you want to place equipment on him to make him more powerful), the
key to your attacks should be to weaken the enemy as much as possible for him to deliver
the finishing blow. The less time he is in contact with one particular monster, the less
punishment he receives. Later on in the game you will judge what monsters he can handle
on his own so you can cover your flanks and avoid large-scale attacks. You will also see
that with good Skill Point management you will often be able to decimate a group of evil
minions before your hireling can actually get to them. In this case, keep him alive for
bait - it's better that he should get the punishment than you, since he usually has more
life.

Of the two melee hirelings I recommend the Desert Mercenaries, since they have auras. A
Thorns Aura or a Defiance Aura come quite in handy. There are three types of mercenaries
available: Offensive, Defensive, and Combat. Each has upto three auras available as he
gains levels. The only problem is you can't choose which one he is going to use, but he
usually sticks to one. My Hireling (Defensive) is stuck with Defiance - which is good -
but I would have much rather had Holy Freeze as his first choice. The auras per hireling
type are as follows:

Offensive :
Defensie :
Combat :

RECOMMENDED EQUIPMENT

Since 90% of all your attacks will consist of HEAVY support and coverfire for your brain
dead hireling, High Defense is NOT a requirement. It is useful, I mean, but don't pass
on a nice Rare Item with decent attributes, for example, simply because your armor has a
higher defense.

HELM - ARMOR

Look for Magic Resistances, Fast Recovery Rate (so you don't have to worry about casting
Teleport only to be hit and have the spell nullified), Bonus to Mana, Mana Regeneration,
among others (I think you have the idea)

SHIELDS

The same strategies that apply to Helms and Armor apply to Shields - with ONE exception:
High Block Rate, Fast Block Rate. The Sorceress suffers from a particular problem, just
because a shield has a 60% block rate, doesn't mean that THE SORCERESS does. She usually
will have something nearer to 25% or 30%. The fact of the matter is that as you progress
from one difficulty to another, you must increase your defense drastically to withstand
the hits from your enemies. It has also come to my attention that there is a nice glich
added to Hell Difficulty called "4XAR" (for 4X Attack Rating), which simply means that a
monster will hit you quite easily UNLESS your defense is off the charts - like 16,000 or
something similar. This can ONLY be done through the use of Paladin Auras or Barbarian
Skills, combined with, maybe, an Armor Shrine. To put it simply, it is gonna be QUITE a
task to match that with a Sorceress. On the other hand, the Block Rating was unaffected
since the absolute maximum is 75%. So exploit this to its maximum.

WEAPONS

I recommend Orbs (OBVIOUSLY), since they grant additional skill points, like staves, and
due to that fact that the Sorceress is the most skill-dependent class, this is a must to
exploit. Look for fast cast rate to bombard enemies with Fireballs and Glacial Spikes.
Extra Mana is always welcome, along with Magic Resistance, and Attribute Bonuses. Simply
ignore the damage of the orb, you will rarely need to go hand-to-hand with it.

Don't overlook staves simply because they are two-handed. You may have to sacrifice the
use of your shield (just put it away in your second quick weapon slot ("W")), but if the
staff has a good bonus to some skills you are using - then by all means USE IT. Just be
sure to avoid getting too close to monsters.

BELTS

Top priority, above ALL ELSE, is to increase the amount of potions you can carry. I do
NOT care if the previous belt had a higher defense or a good bonus to anything, the more
potions you can carry the safer you will be. The maximum is 16 slots, which is available
from Heavy Belt onward, so once you reach that belt, follow the strategies for any other
piece of armor.

BOOTS

Again, do not worry too much about Armor Class; concentrate more on speed. 30% or more
increased run/walk speeds comes QUITE in handy when atempting to run away or dodge enemy
projectiles and magical attacks. Magic Resistances are always welcome, as well as extra
mana or attribute points.

RINGS/AMULETS

Look for Skill Bonuses - quite often found in Rare Amulets and Rings. There are certain
uniques which are worth looking into, such as the Eye of Etlich and the Stone of Jordan.
Each increases all Skills by one point. Always be on the lookout for Magic Resistance!!

CHARMS

The best charms are skill increasing ones (only available in Grand Charms - 3 slots) and
attribute increasing charms. Charms that increase strength will help you conserve those
points for more mana or more life. Since Mana Shield no longer does what it used to do
in Diablo, it is practically useless, so the more life you have the better. By default,
charms that increase life are also nice to have, along with Magic Resistances. Be on the
lookout for charms that combine two of these recommendations to save up space. Also, it
is important to know that there are NO rare more unique charms.

(I will post the equipment I have on a later date)
Back to top Go down

Sorc Guide
Page 1 of 1